Groove Your Theory Webinar
I love that there are a lot of opportunities to improve our piano teaching these days. While a live conference is wonderful (and I do mean wonderful as I’ve just returned from MTNA 2016), sometimes it’s just not possible to get to one every year. So these online opportunities are certainly helpful!
Leila Viss and Bradley Sowash are doing a brand new webinar called “Groove Your Theory” which features ways to teach technique, timing, and theory all at once. It sounds like a more effective way to teach theory that connects with the things kids love. Here is what Leila says about the webinar:
The idea for the webinar stems from Bradley’s regular use of backing tracks in his lessons. He designs unique exercises for his students to build their technique and improvisation which in turn, builds theory knowledge all within a groove.I’ve enjoyed taking his ideas and whittling them down into bite-sized exercises for even the most basic skills.The webinar will be packed full of ideas that will build your skills at the keys and save you lesson time as you compress theory, timing and technique into one activity. The exercises and tips we will provide are perfect for private or group settings.
Here’s Bradley on Groove Your Theory:
Groove Your Theory Will Include:
- The BEST way to create your own lead sheets in iReal Pro.
- A bunch more ideas of how to use iReal Pro to teach and build theory, timing and technique simultaneously.
- Grand staff notation of the drills included in the webinar.
- Numerous resources and additional apps and software that help you reinforce theory and create backing tracks.
- Specific exercises designed by Bradley Sowash that he uses at every lesson to enhance technical skills. Then he’ll go the next step and demonstrate how these fundamentals are the foundation for developing red-hot improvisational skills for you and that of your students.
- Ways to motivate students to excel.
- Tips for those who teach group lessons. You’ll learn how to incorporate ideas into your plans AND summer camps! (To learn more about how to set up group lessons and summer camps, follow this link.)
- A jam-packed, well-organized handout.
- iReal Pro charts designed by Leila and Bradley.
- Time for your questions.
Visit the Groove Your Theory post to earn more and to sign up!